chronicling an oven affair

Friday 28 December 2012

swiss meringue buttercream

Been so busy baking for our charity project I haven't had time to update this space! I actually have loads of recipes lined up, waiting to be tested, but until I find the time to carry out my ambitious plans, we'll just have to make do with this basic Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) recipe.


2 factors I like about SMBC are its stability and its versatility. I've tried the standard buttercream before but it was just too unstable in our sweltering heat. SMBC tends to hold up a bit better, which is a blessing when you've got a staggering number of cupcakes to frost and deliver. Plus, it's so easy to flavour! You can add in chocolate, fruit purees or salted caramel like I did--the possibilities are endless, really.

The thing to take note while making SMBC is that during the mixing stage, the mixture goes through different phases. It starts out looking watery and 'soupy', then it turns into a curdled-looking mess (that got me panicky the first time I made it), and eventually it morphs into a thick, luscious, smooth buttercream. Despite having made the stuff many times in the past month, witnessing this transition never fails to amaze me.

Other important things I've learnt:
1. ALWAYS use fresh eggs. In addition to giving you peace of mind (and GI tract), fresh eggs are easier to separate.
2. When making the meringue, some recipes indicate heating the egg white-sugar mixture to a temperature of 140-150˚F. While I've tried 140˚F before and escaped unscathed, the recommended minimum cooking temperature for eggs is actually 160˚F (or ~71˚C) so you might want to go with that instead.

Basic Swiss Meringue Buttercream -- makes enough to frost ~30 cupcakes
Ingredients
4 egg whites
120g caster sugar
168g unsalted butter, softened

Directions

  • Pour egg whites and sugar into a clean, heatproof bowl
  • Heat egg white + sugar over a saucepan of simmering water, whisking constantly, until the mixture reaches 71˚C. I use a digital probe thermometer to check.
  • Transfer to mixing bowl fitted with whisk attachment
  • Whisk until stiff peaks form and meringue cools to room temperature
  • Switch to paddle attachment and add in the butter
  • Mix until thick, smooth buttercream is formed
  • Add flavouring as desired (for chocolate buttercream, I add about 100g melted good quality dark chocolate)
  • Frost cupcakes/cakes!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© a millygram of sugar, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena